Homework Question on Society and Technology
Directions: Using your textbook and at least two additional resources (Wikipedia sources are not permitted), write a three page paper addressing the following prompt. Your submission should comply with APA guidelines for formatting and citations. Be sure to list each resource used at the end of paper in the reference list section. Please remember that you may utilize LIRN to help you search for resources. You can visit the Academic Resource Center for a guide on how to utilize LIRN successfully.
- What are some recommendations for shaping the 21st century as far as determining new technologies, their use and highly developed nation’s values?
- Contrast this with the ideas of 20th century U.S. values related to technology, industrialized nations, crime, consumerism, and support of new technologies.
- How should the developed world support the developing world in these strategies?
- What kind of relationship (cooperation versus confrontation) do you envision will emerge between the first and the third world in the 21st century?
- Support your essay with reasoning and examples.
Homework Answer on Society and Technology
The past fifteen years have revealed the changing technological landscape. Developed nations such as the United States have recognized the importance of harnessing technology for purposes of maintaining military and economic security (Hjorth, 2008). New technologies are largely reliant on engineering and scientific knowledge, an interdependence that augments the reciprocal associations between capability and understanding.
The emergence and use of new technologies particularly in developed nations largely determined by the values that such nations hold dear but more importantly, by the role of private firms in their development and adoption but increasingly the role of state and federal governments in enhancing their uptake by the civil society.
If at all we are to accelerate the pace in invention of and adoption of new technology, it is important that the private sector collaborates with the government in order to develop a regulatory framework, trade and economic policies. This is necessary in order to circumvent the complex system that characterized the development and adoption of new technology by reducing the number of barriers to innovation (National Academies of Science, 1997). This will go a long way in maintaining an environment that promotes technological innovation.