Homework Question on Richard Serra
- Choose any artist you like and write a 300 word research paper(typed, double spaced, 12 pointfont).
- Be sure to include the artist’s background information (birthplace. education and training, etc.). Also, write about 1 or 2 works that you like by this artist.
- Be sure to include the title of the work, the year it was created. the medium used and an image from the internet.
- (20 Points) Artist’s Info: Background, birthplace. education, etc.
- (20 Points) Artist’s Work: title. year. medium and image are all included.
Homework Answer on Richard Serra
Richard Serra is an American born in San Francisco, California in the year 1938. In the year 1957, he joined the University of California, Berkeley where he studied English literature. He later transferred to the University of California, Santa Barbara where he studied and graduated with Bachelor of Arts in the year 1961. It is in Santa Barbara where he started to study art with an inspiration from other artists such as Rico Lebrun and Howard Warshaw.
Later after graduating from the university, Serra moved to West Coast where he worked in the steel mills, something which later influenced his artistic career in steel work (Panetta 1). However, he mentioned that his father’s pipe-fitter in their San Francisco shipyard played an important role in influencing his work. It is because all the raw materials which he needed to do his work were all contained in the yard.
Between the years 1961 and 1964, Serra enrolled at Yale University School of Art and Architecture where he studied painting. While in Yale, he also met various artists who influenced him as an artist such as Brice Marden, Gary Hudson, Chuck Close, Robert Mangold, and Nancy Graves (Panetta 1). Throughout these years, he continued with his training though he moved from Paris to Florence to gain various experiences in artwork.