PR Plan for Tom’s Breakfast & Bakery
CONFIDENTIAL: FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY
At heart of Manhattan, everyone wants a hearty breakfast. This is with consideration to the various time constraints and demands. Enter Tom’s Breakfast & Bakery at the heart of Manhattan. The purpose of the Public Relations plan is to reach out to everyone in and out of Manhattan who wants a healthy, hearty breakfast on the go. Tom’s Bakery, headed by Celebrity Chef Robert Truitt, will operate, as a single unit, small-sized restaurant, and the focus will be to serve breakfast and bake cakes. The Bakery will bake cakes; make sandwiches, salads, coffee, and tea. The company’s primary goal (which runs from May 25, 2016, to May 25, 2017) is to offer the customer value for their money. We want to bake creative cakes and other savory bakes as well as makes sandwiches, coffee, and tea.
We will source all the ingredients locally to ensure that all the customers wake up early to enjoy our products before they run out. In addition, we will offer a variety of delicious pastries and cakes from simple cones to special orders for birthdays, weddings, or special occasions.
Tom’s Breakfast & Bakery will prioritize ethical business practices and safe environmental friendly production procedures. The company will also encourage fair practices and encourage quality service delivery to exceed our customers’ needs. The management hopes to establish a successful business and in the process encourage healthy eating habits.
A public relations effort is necessary to create awareness of the bakery to potential customers and the rest of the world. The bakery industry in Manhattan is voraciously competitive. The fast moving economy robs off most manhattans the time to make a decent breakfast in the early morning because they have to beat traffic and meet demanding schedules. Current trends in the food industry are that people find healthy low cholesterol foods much more palatable because of the health benefits accompanied with it.
Being in the food industry, the Bakery will take advantage of the recent trends. Our products will, however, will be breakfast related. The PR effort is ongoing for the next five years and we foresee a high demand of our products with an annual increase of 25%. The public opinion is that they need a reliable breakfast solution and Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery provides just that. The competitors do not have similar products and Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery is the premier. The location of the bakery is one of the most flourishing and desirable areas of Manhattan. Only about three establishments offer breakfast, salads, sandwiches, and baked items. Tom’s Breakfast and Bakery offers all these products under one house. Apart from these three, there are numerous other businesses as well as offices in the area. These will form a viable market for the Bakery.
The best business to operate in the food industry of Manhattan is a bakery. According to statistics, after the recession, the baking industry outperformed all other businesses in the food industry. The industry’s most powerful driver is the changing consumer preferences. They are demanding a large variety of healthy, gourmet meals that are custom made at a much affordable price. (Nestle, p.125) The trend is that key players in the industry have witnessed a fast growth in revenue over the past five years. The expectations are that these revenues will continue to grow with the increasing trends.
The new bakery will join the industry and create a customer base for itself. The other bakeries in the area are already established and popular among Manhattans (Meisel 234). Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery seeks to create a reputation of offering quality bakes, and breakfast items that are healthy and create value for money for our clients. The Manhattan community has a new trend of indulging in good food amidst their busy schedules. The competitors have realized the trend as well and have ensured that they keep up with the trend.
The main goal of the plan is to inform our clients of our existence and eventually acquire a strong client base. The plan will also inform our customers of how to intend to make healthy foods that are in consideration of their health. This PR Effort is on an on-going basis and its goal is to increase profits and sales by 25% by May 2017.
- To promote the awareness of the existence of the Bakery
- Create awareness of the importance of healthy eating habits
- Enhance healthy eating habits
- Build a reputation of offering health food that are of high quality and are affordable
Target Market (Audience)
As indicated earlier, the location of the Bakery will be at the center of Manhattan. There are thousands of residents, tens of universities, colleges and other learning institutions, hundreds of offices, and tourists. A comfortable experience in which they can enjoy a tasty meal together is priceless for some. In fact, almost all segment from this target market want to buy a product that supports a cause and will switch brands in order to support one.
Hence, the target market includes:
- College and university students
- Business people with an income of about $25,000 and above
- Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery offers a healthy breakfast solutions.
- Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery will provide a wide range of breakfast and bakery products for birthdays, weddings, or special occasions.
- Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery will seek to source all it ingredients locally and emphasize on sustainability.
Corporate social responsibility
To promote and protect its image, Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery will embrace the concept of corporate social responsibility by supporting a local charity through making donations aimed at assisting in the activities of the local charity establishment. It is asserted that the company has realized that giving back is a great way to create community links as well as foster friendship and teamwork. That is why, inside Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery, the management have opportunities of offering health, welfare, and educational improvement opportunities to their employees and the community. Moreover, externally the business has the plan of providing opportunity to give time, talent, donations and support to the local charity organization. Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery takes Corporate Social Responsibility very seriously, being part of the plan and as a business the organization pursues a triple bottom line in their activities to benefit the people, and to generate more profits. Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery have a strong relationship and a long-term commitment to community development and plans to support local initiatives through donations.
The initiative will also entail making direct bread donations during important occasions within the Manhattan region. On the environmental front Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery aims to use biodegradable packaging for most of its products in order to reduce the environmental harm related to the popular polythene packaging. It is believed that this public relations twist will improve the image of the business to its potential customers and community of Manhattan at large.
Strategies and Tactics
- Use mass media to create awareness on the existence of the bakery. The tactic will be through forming media outreach in the form of pitching reporters and placing articles that are essential for the public relation of Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery. Selecting the appropriate mass media channels, deadline June 10. Selecting mass media reporters, deadline June 20. Preparation of mass media content, deadline June 25 and implementation by June 30.
- Use publications to create awareness of the importance of healthy eating habits. The tactics will be through designing and preparing editorial calendars of several publications. Deciding on the format of the publication, deadline July 10. Preparation of messages, deadline July 15. Publication of the content, deadline July 20 and distribution of the printed publications by July 30.
- Use segment of the population to enhance healthy eating habits. The tactic for this strategy is the use of case studies that are very attractive to the media because they offer a tangible, real-world example of the benefits of a product or service offered by the organization. Sampling and scrutinizing the population, deadline August 10. Researching conferences and trade shows, deadline August 20 and making presentations on August 30.
- Use crisis planning to build a reputation of offering healthy food that are of high quality and are affordable. The tactic will entail establishing all possible negative scenarios and notions of foods offered and the appropriate responses to them. Researching on crisis, deadline September 10. Formulating responses to the likely negative notions, deadline September 20 and presenting and implementing the response mechanisms by September 30.
- In order to reach the potential customers Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery will employ the use of myriad media outlets like newspapers, shopping guides, magazines, blogs, employer newsletters, news stations, radio and social media (Facebook and Twitter).
- Promotional incentives: provision of 20% discount upon sharing Tom’s Kitchen and Bakery information through the myriad media channels and also through referral codes.
Breakenridge, Deirdre, and Thomas J. DeLoughry. The New Pr Toolkit: Strategies for Successful
Media Relations. Upper Saddle River, N.J: Financial Times Prentice Hall, 2003. Internet resource.
Hauck-Lawson, Annie, and Jonathan Deutsch. Gastropolis: Food and New York City. New York: Columbia University Press, 2009.
Kiser, Cheryl, Deborah Leipziger, and J J. Shubert. Creating Social Value: A Guide for Leaders and Change Makers. , 2014.
Meisel, Susan P. New York Sweets: A Sugarhound’s Guide to the Best Bakeries, Ice Cream Parlors, Candy Shops, and Other Emporia of Delicious Delights. New York: Rizzoli, 2013.
Nestle, Marion. Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007.