Homework Question on Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- What are the issues of individual and cultural diversity a counselor must consider when using REBT and behavioral theories
- What are the benefits of using cognitive behavioral therapy versus using cognitive or behavioral therapy individually?
- The textbook indicates that choice intervention strategies are a central element of reality theory. How might these strategies be used in conjunction with other counseling theories?
- The textbook http://gcumedia.com/digital-resources/pearson/2012/theories-of-counseling-and-psychotherapy_ebook_3e.php user name / Amckelvey/ 1Scorpio
Homework Answer on Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
What are the issues of individual and cultural diversity a counselor must consider when using REBT and behavioral theories?
REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy) is an all-inclusive, collective, and humanistic approach that focuses on the emotional distress distinctly perceived by individuals. There is a suggestion in REBT that people have the ability to be rational or irrational. The following issues must be considered when using REBT and behavioral theory (Bazemore, Brue, Dalton, Knoverek & Olges):
- When working with diverse cultures it is important to dispute the irrational belief instead of activating event
- Clients are encouraged to maintain their own cultural reality and long-held beliefs. This is suitable to maintain and sustain the identities of local and cultural societies and prevent their disappearance.
- Instead of concentrating on following and holding onto the beliefs of the majority, they are encouraged to work towards achieving their own goals.
- The goals to be achieved by the client should be legal. Subscription to activities and aims that are illegal or contrary to ethical and corporate responsibility standards is not suitable.
5. The tendency to think in a rigid absolutistic manner seems to remain unchanged across cultures
6. REBT helps to change the negative effects, cultural beliefs, and prejudices by replacing self-defeat in thoughts. This allows the promotion of constructive and optimistic beliefs and attitudes among societies and their members.
7. Recognition and respect the power that is within an individual to positively influence his or her own future within their cultural context.