Homework Question on Professional Ethics
- Using one of the ethical violations case studies in Chapter 4, apply both an informal resolution of the violation and a formal complaint.
- Using information from the book, clearly identify the issue and ethical standard it goes with.
- Do you agree with the route the professional took in the example? Why or why not?
- What is an alternative way of dealing with the issue?
- Chapter 4 of Third Edition of Decoding the ethics code by Celia Fisher
Homework Answer on Professional Ethics
We realize that indeed the process of distinguishing ethical behaviors from those considered unethical is a personal as well as professional context. From this chapter, there is an example of an ethical dilemma as well as a moral issue that faces an employee while delivering his/her duty. The employee, who is a staff member, has received information that he has to work for hours without necessarily recording the worked hours.
This means that he/she does not have to record all the duration he/she offered his/her services as hours worked.The ethical violations come in when we realize that among the ethical standards and settings of this particular firm, each and every member of the staff has to record all the time that he/she has worked (Fisher, 2012). Another staff person further argues that this particular practice of working without recording the hours spent on the job is a standard practice within the firm. This is an ethical violation since the company prohibits this type of practice.
I disagree with the step that this particular staff took, of not recording the hours and moving with the tradition practice in the firm. The reason I do not agree is because professionals are expected to conduct themselves at a higher level with a lot of trust and accountability than other members of the society. By doing this, this staff person in question will have violated the principles, rules of conduct and the overall code of ethics.