Homework Question on Energy Bill
- Find a newspaper related to or about the American political system.
- Write a paper discussing the following information:
- Main idea
- The people involved [i.e., name, office, party – if known]
- How it relates to the book. I will upload the picture of the subject from the book.
- Your opinion and why you believe this way.
- Include the source of your article with the main idea.
- THE BOOK NAME IS WE THE PEOPLE ELEVENTH EDITION, AN INTRODUCTION TO AMERICAN GOVERNMENT.
Homework Answer on Energy Bill
My article is “Senate Democrats Block Energy Bill in Dispute over Aid for Flint” was published in the New York Times website on 4th February, 2016.The main idea of this article is that the senate is debating on whether to pass the Energy Bill before or after dealing with the lead contaminated water in Flint, Mich. It delves on why the senators affiliated to Democratic Party in the United States of America blocked a proposed energy bill amendment despite of the expected benefits.
The bill, written by Senator Lisa Murkowski, Republican of Alaska, the chairperson of the Energy Committee, intended to modernize the nation’s power grid, increase the production of renewable energy, expand the amount of natural gas produced, and help in curbing cybercrime threats (Davenport). Actually, a committee that comprised senators from both the democratic and republican parties drafted the bill. However, the democrats failed to vote for the bill when it was tabled on the floor of the house.
Their main argument was that they would not support such a huge energy policy amendment without first addressing the Flint aid amendment. The senators had earlier disagreed on a $600 million aid proposed to help the Flint, Mich victims of lead-tainted water (Davenport). The senate democrats felt that the senate has first to agree on helping Flint victims before deciding on the energy bill.