Homework Question on Communication Resources
- The Institute of Medicine (IOM) describes links between quality and safety problems and the need for improved communication and collaboration between health care professionals.
- It is important for every nurse to know how to improve communication to apply the current evidence of strategies that are most effective. While improving your communications skills on a patient level may be something you work on regularly, communication to a wider audience (such as a group within your work environment or a specific population of patients) may be new for you.
- In your study activities this week, you watched a video from the American Academy of Communication in Healthcare, explored the Health Communication page at Health.gov, and found at least two additional Web sites or journal articles that can help you to communicate as a nurse leader to integrate evidence-based practice in a health care environment. For this discussion:
- Describe how the information in the assigned and found resources will assist you to communicate as a nurse leader to integrate evidence-based practice in a health care environment.
- Please follow the Scoring Guidelines:
- Applies relevant course concepts, theories, or materials correctly.
- Collaborates with fellow learners, relating the discussion to relevant course concepts.
- Applies relevant professional, personal, or other real-world experiences.
- Supports position with applicable knowledge. G.R.E.A.T paper, grammar rules apply.
- The paper should be written correctly and effectively.
- Relevance is important the paper should pertain to the reading and the assignment. Engage your audience. Incorporate your interpretation of the topic or issue. Add value to the paper. Raise question or provide new information on the topic. You must make reference to the work of another writer (either as a quotation, paraphrase, or summary) to provide support for your ideas. The source can be the course text, another relevant book, any assigned readings, or an article you find on your own. When you incorporate the other writer’s ideas in your work, use APA citation style to give credit to that writer.
- Are these important topics at your organization? Improving teamwork, patient safety, and patient experience of care scores, malpractice risk because of inadequate communication, improving clinical quality indicators;
- Do you want to achieve the IOM’s Ten Rules for Healthcare, or assure accreditation on the newest education standards for clinical skills?
- Are you looking for a competitive advantage in the market place?
- Chances are, you are looking for a positive way to address these issues.
Homework Answer on Communication Resources
Communication plays a key role in fostering effective leadership which in intergrading evidence based practice (EBP) in health care environment (Lambert & Keogh, 2014). Therefore, suitable resources should be employed to ensure mastery in effective communication. In the quest to improve leadership skills and the need for improved communication and collaboration between health care professionals, some resources were used for study activities.
These resources included video from the American Academy of Communication in Healthcare, Health Communication webpage at Health.gov, American Academy on Communication in Healthcare (AACH) web page, and healthcare communication journal articles. These resources provide elaboration on key steps that should be used by healthcare professional in administering effective communication. It is important to know the desired communication in the health care organization, which might differ with other organizations outside healthcare fraternity.
The need to integrate evidence-based practice creates a new paradigm in the healthcare environment (Lancaster et al, 2015). The new paradigms come with new challenges of opposition and reluctance from healthcare professional. Therefore, effective communication is needed in order to ensure enforcement of the evidence-based practice in conducting healthcare processes and operations. As a nurse leader, the information derived from healthcare communication resources will help to influence other nurses to work as a team.