Homework Question on Medical Sciences Paper On Stress and Immune response
- STRESS AND THE IMMUNE RESPONSE: The attached Reference is a graded (45/50) Case Assignment that used references discussing quite new scientific theories that are currently being tested by scientists who are trying to figure out why individuals suffer from behavioral issues such as depression and PTSD.
- The scientific and medical communities have collected a lot of evidence that stress plays a very big role in not only creating these behaviors, but also perpetuating them. We still have a long way to go and a lot of unanswered questions! The attached graded Case Assignment has participated in the scientific method.
- View the linked animation of the Scientific Method and use the diagram as your reference point to complete the following components of this assignment:
- In which part of the attached graded Case Assignment addressed Step 1, “observe and generalize”?
- Which part of the attached graded Case Assignment requires the accomplishment of Step 2, “formulate a hypothesis”?
- Did your hypothesis contain information that can be accepted as the absolute truth? If not, what information was missing? Based on the information that was missing from your hypothesis, what could you test in order to obtain more information on the unknown piece?
- Do a bit of research on the technology available today that could facilitate this test. Examples of new technology include brain imaging, blood chemistry and hormone level tests, CAT scans, MRIs, and DNA mapping. What step of the scientific method does this require?
- Now that you have some additional information, briefly and in simple terms, describe how you would test the missing information and which step of the scientific method this accomplishes.
SLP Assignment Expectations:
- For this SLP assignment, answer all questions using full sentences in paragraph format.
- Be sure to include a references section at the end of the assignment.
- Ensure to include all citations.
- REFERENCES: Pearson Learning Solutions: Scientific method. Pearson Higher Education, 2014. Accessed on August 14, 2014, at http://www.pearsoncustom.com/mct-comprehensive/asset.php?isbn=1269879944&id=10647 Pearson Learning Solutions: Scientific Method Diagram. Pearson Higher Education, 2014. Accessed on August 14, 2014, at http://www.pearsoncustom.com/mct-comprehensive/asset.php?isbn=1269879944&id=5624 Hovhannisyan, et al., (2010). Alterations in the complement cascade in post-traumatic stress disorder. Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology, 6(3): 1 – 5. Maier, S. (2012). Consequences of the Inflamed Brain. Dana Foundation, 1-6. Randall, M. (2011). The Physiology of Stress: Cortisol and the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis, Dartmouth Undergraduate Journal of Science, 1-4
Homework Answer on Stress and the immune response
The introduction part of the case assignment is the one that addresses step one of scientific method. It starts by observing what happens when body tissues are damaged. It states that when body tissues are damaged, the body’s immune system triggers a response that results to inflammation (Randall, 2011). It further states that the body’s immune system initiates a healing process once body tissues are damaged (Maier, & Watkins, 2012). Basically, this observes and generalizes what happens once body tissues are damaged.
The second step hereby referred to as formulate a hypothesis should be accomplished before proceeding to the second part of the case assignment. It is at this point one should predict what would happen in case of stress. Once predictions in form of hypotheses have been made, one should proceed to testing those predictions (Pearson Learning Solutions, 2012).
My hypothesis was that the interaction between chemical mediators and damaged tissues increase vascular permeability that causes inflammatory cells to collect and respond to affected part (Hovhannisyan et al., 2010). Largely, this hypothesis contained information that could be accepted as absolute truth, but it lacked facts to support it.