Homework Question on Decision Making Support Tools
- Read the journal article, “Executive Information Systems: Their Impact on Executive Decision Making”. Based on the information presented in the article, discuss the following:
- The tools executive managers use when making major decisions
- The relationship between the tools the executive managers’ use and the managers’ tasks
- The reasons for using the support tools
Homework Answer on Decision Making Support Tools
- What are the tools executive managers use when making major decisions?
Managers use oral, written, or computerized sources of information as tools for decision making (Leidner & Elam, 1995). Oral and written tools of decision making have been in use for many decades. However, computer-based tools are minimally known and it is with the development of technology that they are gaining roots in today’s management of organizations. The development of computer-based systems in recent times conforms to the manager’s line of management.
The article, ‘Executive information systems: Their impact on executive decision making,’ discusses the Executive Information Systems (EIS). It describes EIS as a form of computer-based information system created to enable the managers access information useful to their management activities to enable them make accurate decisions.
- What is the relationship between the tools used and the managers’ tasks?
The relationship between the tools used for decision-making and the manager’s task is that of making the act of decision-making easy for the manager. The manager will use any tool that brings him/her closer to the solution of a problem facing him or her at any given moment (Piccirillo & Noro, 2008). Decision making is a long process that involves a lot of analysis including generations of choices and evaluating which choice to take and which ones to forego.