Homework Question on Logistics Infrastructure Challenges
- Logistics Challenges Explore a challenge in the area of logistics and the infrastructure within the US and its cities for logistics and logistical support.
- The number 4 challenge on a list of ten, as reported by DC Velocity (http://www.dcvelocity.com/), is “The nation’s deteriorating infrastructure”. Key Issue #4. The nation’s deteriorating infrastructure. Continued deterioration of the nation’s infrastructure. In spite of stimulus spending, we’ve made little, if any, progress on this front. We are nowhere near where we need to be to accommodate our growing volumes of highway and rail traffic. If the economy improves dramatically, it will only exacerbate an already bad situation. Lynch, Clifford. (2010).
- Top ten logistics challenges for 2011 (and beyond). Retrieved from http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/2010121310_logistics_challenges_in_2011/
- Task : Your challenge is to independently research this key logistics issue #4 and report on it.
- Define the problem and its scope, and provide some possible solutions.
Write an paper that follows the guidelines and expectations. Assignment Expectations The report should thoroughly address these aspects in depth and breadth:
- Problem: clearly elucidate the problem
- Assumptions: what are the assumptions about this issue and your critical evaluation
- Possible Solutions: articulate some solutions
- Evidence & Explanation: clear reasoning as to why these solutions will work. Elucidate your evidence coherently
- Develop chart showing the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure and percentage of serviceable vs unserviceable infrastructure.
- Clarity & Organization: well-formed sentences and paragraphs, well organized with flow of reason, and good use of language that pertain to concepts and terminology
- Use of references & Citations: at least five (5) proper references should be used correctly, cited in the text, and listed in the references using an appropriate style; use APA format!
- Length: The paper should be three pages – the body of the paper excluding title page and references page.
Homework Answer on Logistics Infrastructure Challenges
The United States has many urbanized metropolises and upcoming terminals and centers that are also the administrative and economic hubs of most States in the US (O’Connor, 2010, p. 134). Similarly, the towns and cities are arguably characterized by their uniqueness in resource endowment, broad range of developmental challenges and long history of survival. In fact, infrastructural construction, and maintenance was for many decades a challenge in the US (O’Connor, 2010, p. 138).
Currently, this vital sector is in a dilapidated state, not to mention the need for sustainable improvements in terms of repair and installation of new systems in a steadily growing population and urbanization.The infrastructural landscape of the country that is cross-cutting in all the states is underscored by the old and inadequate surface transportation structures (O’Connor, 2010, p. 139).
As a result, highway congestion, jams, and related opportunity and time losses have been common in the US for the past periods of economic slump. Besides, the rampant road carnages coupled with exorbitant fuel taxes and high pump prices has made the management and construction of efficient and durable infrastructure in the US a necessity.The multiple agencies with no central coordination and bureaucratic regulatory policies and laws have proven a hurdle to the rapid advancement of the sector (Porter, & Rivkin, 2012, p. 55).