This assignment comprises two components:
• Part 1: Complete four online Assessments from the Northouse textbook.
• Part 2: Write a critical self-reflection paper.
This assignment asks Learners to (a) complete a minimum of four (4) online assessments from
the Northouse textbook, (b) critically reflect upon your findings, and (c) write a paper that
incorporates a leadership development plan. The Northouse textbook provides an assessment
at the end of each chapter. While you are encouraged to complete as many assessments as
time permits during the semester, you will choose just four (4) for this particular assignment.
Please read this assignment in its entirety so you may plan your time accordingly.
PART 1: NORTHOUSE ASSESSMENTS
Each chapter of the Northouse textbook includes a self-assessment. For example, Chapter 2 ─
Trait Approach ─ includes the Leadership Traits Questionnaire. Canvas is integrated with your e-
textbook in Vantage; you will complete the assessments (instruments/questionnaires) online.
You are encouraged to select any four assessments from the twelve options listed below
early because some require input from others! Further, completing four assessments well in
advance of the deadline will allow ample time to also write a thoughtful paper.
• Leadership Traits Questionnaire – LTQ (Chapter 2)
• Skills Inventory (Chapter 3)
• Situational Leadership SLII Questionnaire: Sample Items (Chapter 5)
• Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ) Form 5X-Short: Sample Items (Chapter 8)
While this assignment does not require submitting journal entries, reflective journaling is good
practice when completing the online assessments and will facilitate learning transfer and
subsequent recall when you begin to write your paper.
Step 2: Submit a critical self-reflection paper in Canvas (100 Points*)
I. Write a formal paper that critically reflects on the four self-assessments and findings, your
strengths, and any opportunities for improvement and includes a leadership development
plan with your career in mind. The following items ask you to reflect back on assessments
results, which consider past and present performance, and think forward to the future.
1. Address the following prompts for each of the four assessments:
a. Describe the assessment; that is, include sufficient details about the assessment
such that someone unfamiliar with it could understand its purpose, scoring, etc.
b. Interpret the results you received.
2. Synthesize all assessments:
a. Considering the different results specific to you, did you find any common threads
underlying the four assessments? Explain your answer.
b. Considering the different results specific to you, did you find any inconsistencies
among the four assessments? Explain your answer.
3. Consider the purpose of assessments in general and how results may be used for
professional development. Develop a leadership development plan.
a. Describe three (3) areas of strength based on the assessment results.
b. Describe three (3) areas of opportunity for personal development and growth within
the context of your professional goals and objectives.
c. Develop an action plan to close three (3) performance gaps; that is, explain how will
you reach a future state compared to the current state where you see yourself now.
Consider using the SMART goals approach: Specific, Measurable, Achievable,
Relevant, and Time-Bound. (To receive credit, your specific objectives must be
measurable and realistic, such that success can be achieved over a period of time.)
d. Discuss potential obstacles you may face and list possible ways to overcome them.
4. Identify what you consider to be your three (3) biggest challenges as a leader in today’s
fast-paced, globalized digital economy.
5. Concluding paragraph(s) that summarizes your work – do not skip this section.
II. Finalize your paper by ensuring it meets the following requirements:
Format, Mechanics, and Organization
• Paper includes four major sections:
a. Title Page [including course number and name, title of paper, your name] b. Abstract
c. Main Body (addresses items 1 – 5 above)
d. Reference List (at a minimum, cite the four chapters with assessments)
• Paper is professional in appearance.
• APA (American Psychological Association) style formatting, according to the 7th edition.
• Page header (also known as “running head”; flush left at the top of the page).
• Page numbers (flush right at the top of the page).
• 12-point type, Times New Roman font.
• Double-spaced on standard-sized paper (8.5″ x 11″) with 1″ margins on all sides.
• Uses general headings and subheadings as appropriate. paper-format/headings
• Paper is error-free. Punctuation, spelling, and grammar have been checked and all mistakes
have been corrected.