Homework Question on Comprehensive Smoking Education Act (1984)
- Please write an essay on the following topic:
- Tobacco dependency threatens the health of many Americans and it poses a preventable burden to the health care system.
- This essay should include:
- Title: Provide a short name and the official title of the legislation.
- Agency Responsible: Identify the agency and subunit (such as a bureau or office) responsible for implementing the policy. If multiple agencies are involved indicate who is responsible for what.
- Enforcement: What federal or state agency is responsible for enforcement? What are the key areas for enforcement?
- Implementation: How is the legislation implemented?What federal or state agency is charged with its implementation?Are local public health departments involved? Are collaborating organizations engaged to achieve the aims of the policy? Are citizen’s involved? Are health provider organizations? Are grants awarded?
- Impact on Health Service Organizations: What does a Health Care Manager need to know about this legislation and the related implementation? Include five bullets of how this legislation impacts health services organizations operating in your home state.
- Resource: What resource would a health organization utilize to find updates regarding the impact policies have on them?
- *Please use as many sources as needed
Homework Answer on Comprehensive Smoking Education Act (1984)
The secretary of health and human services is the overall head of the agency that is responsible for the implementation of the act. This secretary is assisted by an inter-agency committee on smoking and health that comprises of the following members. First, the members that secretary appoints from appropriate agencies. Second, at least one appointee from the department of labor, the department of education, the federal trade commission or any other federal department the secretary may choose.
With regard to enforcement, the secretary is supposed to ensure that cigarette manufacturers do the following. First, the secretary is supposed to ensure that these manufacturers label their products appropriately by ensuring that they include surgeon’s warning on the packets of their cigarettes and other cigarette related materials. This means that the secretary together with his/her team have the mandate of ensuring that cigarette manufactures observe the law as they produce and market cigarettes.
Second, the secretary is supposed to ensure that cigarette manufacturers do not advertise cigarettes without warning the members of the public that cigarette smoking causes cancer and other heath related problems (Institute of Medicine, 2012). Third, the secretary together with his/her team is supposed to ensure that cigarette manufacturers put these warnings on cigarette packets in capital letters.