MHACB/507 Competency 1 Assessment and Rubric
Course Title: Leveraging Informatics in the Health Sector
Competency Assessment Title: Using Public Data Sets Report
This assessment directs you to analyze the uses for health data with the purpose of improving health care policies and operations. Raw data
doesn’t say much to most people, but through data analysis, information can be extracted and used to “tell the story” of a particular patient
Select or generate a dataset that is meaningful to you and your interests in the health care industry by using one of the following links:
• CDC WONDER Online Databases
• Big Cities Health Coalition
Evaluate the dataset and determine how it is valuable for improving health care operations or policies. This will require the creation of a chart or
graph to interpret the data.
Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word report with your evaluation of the dataset and what value can be gained from it in which you:
• Explain the source of the data.
• Explain the value of the dataset and its importance for improving health care operations/policies. Include a detailed chart or graph to
interpret the data.
• Explain what trends the data documents.
• Explain what changes in operations or policies can be made to improve quality or efficiency.
Cite 3 reputable references to support your report (e.g., trade or industry publications, government or agency websites, scholarly works, or other
sources of similar quality).
Format your report according to APA guidelines
Case Study Review Guide
As part of your analysis of the East Chestnut Regional Health Case Study, you decide to review the following elements of the organization from the perspective of their ethical and financial impact on the organization’s health care marketing strategies:
Mission and objectives:
• What is the organization’s vision?
• What is its mission?
• What are its values?
• What are its strategic objectives?
Organizational structure and culture:
• How does the organization’s structure impact its success?
• How would you characterize the organization’s culture?
Current marketing strategies:
• What are the organization’s current products and services?
• How are they priced?
• How are they delivered to consumers?
• How are they currently promoting their products and services?
Current financial analysis:
• What currently makes the organization profitable? What is its current profit margin?
• How large is the market for the organization’s current products and services? Is it expanding or contracting? What share of the market does the organization currently hold?
• How do physical and technological resources impact its profitability?
• What competitive advantage does the organization currently have?
• How does it differentiate itself in the market?
Current value chain analysis:
• What are the key elements of your organization’s value chain?
• How does each element in the value chain help the organization succeed?
• Which factors must be taken into consideration when analyzing the organization’s value chain?
• How does the organization build value within the market?
Current target market:
• Who is the organization’s current target market?
• What are the demographics, such as age, income level, and ethnicity, of current consumers?
• What are current consumers’ values, attitudes, and lifestyles?
External Environmental Factors: