Homework Question on The Film “The Spectacular Now”
- Write a short analysis paragraph about (The Spectacular Now) and then Answer the Questionnaire for Script to Film for the film “The Spectacular Now” Be concise and use specific examples from the film/script.
- Compare and contrast the story and the film. What were some of the differences? Speculate as to why you think those changes were made when they wrote the script and shot the film.
- How do you feel the tone of the film compares to the tone of the script? Spot on? Drastically different? Somewhere in the middle? (ie. Music)
- Did the director capture the tone the writer set up, or did he give it an entirely different tone? Which did you prefer?
- Did the script or the film have more tension?
- How did the characters compare in the film versus the script?
- Did the scenes you most looked forward to seeing play out the way you imagined they would? Better? Worse?
- What were the themes you picked up on in the film? How were they different than themes you felt in the script? Which did you prefer? 9) If you were a development executive, would you have purchased this script? Why or why not?
Homework Answer on The Film “The Spectacular Now”
After hard partying the previous night, Sutter(Miles teller),a high-school senior finds himself in a lawn of not-so-typical innocent nice girl called Aimee(Shailene).Sutter admits he has never seen Aimee in their school and a chat follows where they get to know a little about each other. Aimee is innocent but Sutter conceals things from her only to fit in, he engages in drinking more often. Sutter does not have plans of making Aimee his girlfriend and has not gotten over his breakup with Cassidy(Brie Larson).
They eventually end up making love and this brings them closer than they anticipated. When Sutter finally manages to get hold of himself and commits himself towards finishing his education and looks for Aimee, the future seems bright for the love-birds.
1) Compare and contrast the story and the film. What were some of the differences? Speculate as to why you think those changes were made when they wrote the script and shot the film.
The book gives more vivid description of the trunk of Shutters car. The movies only a simple beer cooler. Aimee reads a sci-fi book called Bright Planet while in the movie she reads Gleaming planet.Sutter lies that his dad is an executive in a chase building in the book and the movies changes the dad’s position to a pilot. In the book, Aimee leaves Oklahoma to attend a school in St. Louis but in the movie, she leaves for a school in Philadelphia. The movie gives Sutter’s mom a name, as compared to the book where she is not given much significance or even a name.