Homework Question on Self-Management Skills
- The book required: Goleman, D. (2005). Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books. ISBN: 0-553-80491 or Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books. ISBN: 0-553-37506-7
- Readings – Emotional intelligence book Parts 3 & 4
- The discussion should be at least 2 paragraphs consists of 4 complete sentences.
- The discussion is, To date, share your thoughts and impressions of the content from the EI book.
- What have been some valuable elements you have taken away and can put to use in your home or work environment?
Homework Answer on Self-Management Skills
To date, I have a lot of information from Goleman’s book Emotional intelligence, which has helped me in both my professional and personal life. The book has assisted me to gain a lot of information on how to deal with people with different personalities and levels of emotional intelligence. The emotional intelligence possessed by individuals determines how they act towards people, and react to situations they encounter, such as rudeness from a client.
Before I read the book, I might have taken many things personally, especially when I thought that a person was being cruel because he/she thought I was weak. However, I now know better that different individuals have different levels of emotional intelligence, which determine how they treat different people that they come across, and how they respond to different situations both positive and negative.
A better understanding of emotional intelligence from Goleman’s (2005) book has helped me gain better self-management skills. I make use of the self-knowledge to set better and more timely goals, realistic expectations, and recognize other people’s strengths and weaknesses. At the workplace, I can be a better colleague because I have empathy and try to relate to my colleagues strengths, weaknesses and insecurities, and therefore be a better team player and leader.