Homework Question on Planning Time for Co-teachers
- Planning time is the most commonly mentioned challenge to effective co-teaching.
- How much planning time do you think co-teachers should have? Why?
- What are the several strategies for getting the most out of planning time that is arranged?
- What do you think co-teachers should do if they do not have any scheduled planning time?
- The text book is : Interactions: Collaboration Skills for School Professionals, 7/E Marilyn Friend, Lynne Cook, California State University, Dominguez Hills ISBN-10: 0132774925 • ISBN-13: 9780132774925 ©2013 • Pearson • Paper, 408 pp
Homework Answer on Planning Time for Co-teachers
In order to meet the needs of the students effectively, there is a need for co-teachers to have time management skills. This is one of the main challenges that may hinder success of the learning process. For instance, if one of the co-teachers arrives on time while the other comes in late, they may not be in a position to deliver their services effectively. There is a need to set some time for the co-teachers to plan their time. A minimum of ten minutes per lesson should be enough.
However, the ten minutes is adequate for co-teachers who have been in the practice for more than a year. For the ones who have lesser experience the planning time should be more. In order to get the most out of the arranged planning time, the co-teachers should avoid a situation where they focus on specific students. Instead, they should plan for the whole class. In cases where there are issues specific to particular students, they should be handles after the lesson but not when the whole class should be learning.
In cases where the teachers lack scheduled planning time, they should ensure that they use some of their free time to plan for the lessons. Planning is essential without which they may never achieve their set targets. They should therefore ensure that they plan for the lessons even if there is no time set aside for that. The co-teachers have to create time and plan for the lessons so as to make learning easier for both the students and the teachers.