Homework Question on Preventing Terrorism
- Using all of the course readings and any supplemental readings you choose, prepare a paper of 750-1,000 words suggesting measures that could be implemented in the United States to prevent terrorism.
- The suggestions should reflect an emergency management perspective and focus on systemic changes designed to detect, deter, and prevent terrorism before it occurs. Address the following criteria in your paper:
- Explain the intelligence cycle and the structure of the intelligence community in the United States.
- Examine some of the existing problems in counterterrorism intelligence in the United States.
- Analyze the impact intelligence gathering has on preparing for terrorism in the United States.
Additional requirements include:
- Directly quoted source material may not exceed 10% of the paper’s content.
- Due to its inherent unreliability, Wikipedia is not considered an acceptable source for use in academic writing. This assignment uses a rubric.
- Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Homework Answer on Preventing Terrorism
Intelligence cycle involves procedures used in building up unprocessed information into complete intelligence as guiding principles. These principles are utilized by policy makers in the process of making decisions and formulating strategies aimed at addressing the state of security within United States. This process involves five phases with the first being planning. Planning phase ensures that the whole the process of intelligence cycle is managed effectively and efficiently.
Planning takes into account all the procedures ensuring data collected has been manifested into an action. The second phase involves collection of the raw data from several sources available that is converted into a language that is understood. This phase is followed by a step involving processing of information. This step translates the data gathered in order to gather complete and useful information. Sources analysis and production phase now takes the action of converting the information into complete intelligence.
In analysis and production, there is an implementation aspect becomes vivid resulting from the evaluation of all the inputs involved in the process. Dissemination is the last cycle that involves distribution of complete intelligence to various destinations (Richelson, 2011).The United States intelligence community has sixteen agencies controlled by the main Directorate of National Intelligence, which is the top brass organ. The agencies operate both as independent organs and collaboratively with one agenda of collecting intelligence.