Homework Question on Cultural Awareness
- Watch a movie of Mr. Holland’s Opus and write a paper pertaining to Cultural struggles
- Your analysis of the movie: As you describe the storyline of the movie try to answer the questions below.
- What was the minority group in the movie?
- Did the minority group play an important role in the outcome of the movie and if so how? If their role was not of importance, why do you feel this happened?
- In your conclusion, share how the movie helped you look at cultural-ism and discuss negative beliefs, dynamics of discrimination, political discrimination, educational discrimination and stratification per the minority group in the movie. Be sure to include specific examples of the discrimination in each category.
Homework Answer on Cultural Awareness
In the movie, “Mr. Holland’s Opus” depicts particular and specific issues that occur everyday in the modern and contemporary society. It has been common among the people that interact on a day-to-day basis in the society to come across the very core issues that are considered as inequalities. These issues lead to segregation between the majority and the minority people. In the same breath, it is also worth mentioning that the concept of inequality and the existence of the minority groups in the society is relative and varies from one society and its social set up to another.
However, observable features of the members form the basis of identifying some minority groups and it is not easily mistakable. Thus, it is safe to say that some of these things are not only universal, but are also inevitable at all. On the other hand, some of the discriminatory segregations are perspective and opinion based and therefore leads to the human made sources of discrimination or holding of certain opinions as pertains to the group of people in question.
The inevitable ones include people who orm the groups of individuals that, unfortunately, find themselves in particular conditions or situations that render them as having some form of disability. Other circumstances are considered very opinion based and are driven by the existing stereotypes as well as the mindsets that exist among people. An example of this in the American society is the issue of racial discrimination. Over the years, it has been observed that there has been a shift in the definition of minority or majority people.