Homework Question on Homeless Population
- Choose two populations from his list that you might work with in your career as a human services professional. Describe two possible interventions or tasks that you might be involved with in working with each population. What are some of the general skills a human services professional might need to work with these population?
- These are the two populations-
- Runaways: After fleeing intolerable situations, these boys and girls wander our streets.
- Victims of environmental catastrophe: This type really surprised me, but they, too, live on our streets. The catastrophes I came across ranged from fires to dioxin contamination.,
- For each of the types of homelessness listed above, identify/analyze specific problems related to homelessness that individuals may encounter. Then, provide two solutions that human services professionals can implement to help the person get out of his/her situation. Why did you choose these solutions?
- For each of the populations chosen, research at least one agency/organization in your own county that might work with this population. How effective do you think the agencies are in assisting the populations you chose to discuss? What are some of the important components of an agency that works daily with the homeless population?
- Explain the role human services professionals play in solving social problems.
Homework Answer on Homeless Population
Homeless population is defined as any person(s) who lacks a fixed or regular night time residence. These individuals usually spend their nights in the streets since they have no homes to live in. Homelessness is usually caused by a number of factors. Environmental catastrophes, medical conditions, lack of income and intolerable situations among others are some of the causes of homeless populations. The paper will seek to analyze homelessness caused as a result of runaways and environmental disasters.
Runaways involve situations in which individuals flee their residence or places of living mainly due to intolerance. A number of factors have been associated with such homelessness. Domestic violence, lack of income, ethnicity and mental illnesses are some of the main factors associated with runaways or intolerance. To begin with, lack of income has been a major cause of homeless populations. People have had to flee from their residence because of the inability to pay for rental incomes mainly as a result of unemployment.
According to the National Coalition for the Homeless (p1), declining wages have greatly contributed to homelessness in the past years. As a result of this, jobless youths and children have been forced to live on the streets. Additionally, domestic violence victims have been made homeless from abusive intolerable situations such as battering.On the other hand, environmental tragedies have also caused homelessness among individuals.