Homework Question on Performance Standards
- Survey Preparation Surveys are an important tool to assess the competitive forces in the marketplace regarding pay practices. The most critical step in the survey process is obtaining the proper job match.
- For an organization you are familiar with, identify a position that would be the match to utilize in your survey, including a brief discussion on the limitations of using this position to determine your organization’s overall salary competitiveness in the market.
- Required Text Henderson, R. (2006). Compensation management in a knowledge-based world. (10th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN: 0131494791 Comments: Correct updated instructions:Performance Standards
- Describe the relevance of performance standards for today’s knowledge-directed workers, and how their use will result in a more competitive compensation and benefit strategy.
- Required Text:Henderson, R. (2006). Compensation management in a knowledge-based
world. (10th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN:
Homework Answer on Performance Standards
Today, the knowledge directed workers own most organizations. The knowledge directed workers own the production processes and focuses on effectiveness. The performance standards represent a positive move towards decentralization. The responsibility of managing the performance evaluation has moved closer to the employees themselves. In the past, the performance standards were set and managed by centralized human resources department or the senior managers (Henderson 178).
Thus, the knowledge directed workers would be able to take responsibility of their performance in the organizations. It has also helped the knowledge-based workers to become integrated into various organizational initiatives, including mentoring. The performance standards also motivate the employees towards improving their current performance in the organization. They are involved in the setting of goals for different periods in organizations. Managers use information from the performance standards to assist the knowledge directed workers in the companies in short-term and long-term planning (Heckman 129).
This proves helpful to the managers in making effective decisions related to assignments and promotions.Most important, companies prepare the performance standards for both motivational and organizational planning purposes. Among many firms, performance standards have become an essential tool for enhancing effectiveness in all different aspects of the organization ranging from staffing to customer service (Henderson 142).