Homework Question on Safety and Security for Aviation
- What is a Safety Management System?
- Why do companies need such a system?
- Why is culture of a company vital? o (25% of the marks awarded)
SMS can be implemented within an airline or airport community / company etc.
Read the example of the 1976 tragic Air France accident in the SMS Booklet provided on Virgin Atlantic (page 8) and then find another well documented air accident and comment on how a fully operative SMS could have prevented this accident (please discuss with the module leader your choice of accident)
- Highlight what the main failures in the accident is recorded as involving e.g. Birmingham accident with British Airways when the window blew out resulted from poor maintenance procedures the day before!
- Determine how an SMS could have prevented the main hazards identified the risks resulting (from the report that you must reference) if an SMS been implemented prior to the accident.
- Make sure that you think of appropriate new policies, principals and procedures that need to be followed in future. o(75% of the marks awarded)
FOR PART ONE FOR THE FIRST THREE BULLET POINTS IT WILL HAVE TO HAVE AN AVIATION EXAMPLE UNDER EACH DISCRIPTION.
COULD YOU ALSO ADD SOME DIAGRAMS FOR EXAMPLE THE SMS.
MY CHOSEN ACCIDENT WILL BE THE KEGWORTH ACCIDENT WHICH IS FOR PART TWO CAN I ALSO GET A SHORT INTRODUCTION AT THE BEGINING.
Note: This assignment requires good/excellent research skills.
Homework Answer on Safety and Security for Aviation
A Safety Management System is simply aformal approach of managing risk, which comprises of the necessary structures, policies and procedures of a company that are crucial in managing risks.All the components of a safety management system are crucial for the effective functioning of anycompanybecause they combine to create a systemic approach to managing and ensuring safety.
For instance, the safety management system of air traffic organization is a collection of policies, processes, procedures, and programs used to identify, analyze, assess, manage, and monitor safety risk in the provision of communication, navigation, and surveillance services.This essay critically analyzes safety management system and elaborates on how it works.A safety management system is essential and a key requirement for companies because it is a necessity for any firm to function effectively.
A SMS provides a common framework to identify and address safety hazards and risks associated with equipment, operations, and procedures of any company. Such a system ensures that the company is safe for all workers, clients and other people who access the company from time to time. First, a SMS contains a safety policythat defines management’s commitment, responsibility, and accountability for safetyof its workers and customers.