Homework Question on Human Capital & Employee Management
- List the types of action or things can you do to ensure you find the right balance at work so as to ensure you do not overstep your boundaries or authority? [10-points]
- In no more than one paragraph, what is your response to the question the author asks on page 29 “can you live without the credit?” [10-points]
- The author provides five ways in which you can “relieve the tension challenge.” Briefly discuss how these five apply to you and what you can do in similar situations. [10-points]
- In Challenge #2, the author describes seven different types of “leaders no one wants to follow.” Pick three (3) of those leaders and discuss ways in how you would approach your work, if you had a manager that was like that. Provide pragmatic and effective examples. [30-points]
- In the “multi-hat challenge”, the author discusses the different roles you have and the conflicts that may arise from these. This is somewhat similar to the need for multi-tasking. Discuss how you would meet this challenge and the things you can do to make your work productive and meet all of your responsibilities. [20-points]
- In Challenge #4 and #5 the authors discusses challenges a person faces from an egotistical perspective. What are some of the ways you can avoid falling into these types of situations or how would you overcome these challenges. Provide pragmatic and effective examples. [20-points]
- You are a new manager to a company and your manager just handed down a new vision and a set of new goals that you have to conform. In order to successfully manage your division, you are going to have to adapt this vision and goals. Assume that you are not fully committed or agree with the entire vision statement, but only partially agree with it. What are the things you can do in order to make sure you are in alignment with that vision and are able to champion this change amongst your own employees? Are there other alternative options not discussed in the book? Provide pragmatic and effective examples. [30-points]
Homework Answer on Human Capital & Employee Management
- List the types of action or things you can do to ensure you find the right balance at work so as to ensure you do not overstep your boundaries or authority?
To maintain a balance of power and authority in an organization, I will take the following actions.
- establish clear roles that establish the scope of authority
- create positions that are bound by definite duties
- engage in consultation to enhance corporation hence reduce overstepping
- make policies that outlines each employees duties and responsibilities
- avoid delegation of authority to contain conflicts of interests
- In no more than one paragraph, what is your response to the question the author asks on page 29 “can you live without the credit?”
No, it is very hard to live without credit. Accessing credit enhances performance and growth in terms of personal development as well as financial growth. However, one has to dig deeper into the pocket to finance credit activities. Weighing the benefits against the drawbacks, it is worth the struggle.
- The author provides five ways in which you can “relieve the tension challenge.” Briefly discuss how these five apply to you and what you can do in similar situations.
- Determine how much authority and responsibility the person above you has given to you. This strategy applies in situations where obedience to authorities is required. I would expect that employees determine the extent to which his/her actions should be carried out.
- Accept the fact that you may receive limited recognition and appreciation. The motivation behind my contribution towards success is based on performance and not recognition. If I find myself in similar situation, I will lay more emphasize on performance.