Many have misunderstood the conclusion has been misunderstood to be a summary of a paper or a text; however, this is on the contrary. The purpose of a conclusion is to give a final judgment after reaffirming the thesis statement and discussing prominent issues in research writing.
The purpose of a conclusion
The purpose of a conclusion is to create a link to all sections of a research paper and comment on the meaning (s) expressed in these sections. As such, the conclusion will:
• Demonstrate a synthesis and integration of different issues raised in the research paper and how it is related to the thesis statement, and objectives of the research
• It gives answers to the research questions
• Shows the relationship between the study and theoretical and policy implications of the research
• Gives the limitations of the study although not in details
• Gives insights or direction for further research writing
Qualities of a good conclusion
A high quality conclusion should have the following characteristics
• It should not introduce new knowledge, instead it should show a synthesis of what was discussed in the previous chapters of the research paper
• It should be brief and systematic between less than or equal to 5 to 15 pages based on whether you are doing a dissertation or writing a PhD for your study.
• It must show or demonstrate unity in the different sections of the research paper, from the objective of research writing at the introduction to the results, discussion and recommendations.
• It must have the capacity to add to the quality of the paper. A good conclusion leaves the reader with one impression besides giving an opportunity to restate your position in research writing.
• A good conclusion should also have the capacity to stand on its own, justify, and defend thesis statement.